Curriculum statement – Music
‘Confident in God’s love for us, we commit ourselves to His service’
At The Sacred Heart Language College the music curriculum aims to engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music as well as their talents as musicians. Pupils are given many opportunities to compose, perform, listen to and analyse a wide range of musical traditions, styles and genres. Pupils will learn to express their opinions using musical vocabulary and develop their skills in all elements of music appreciation, increasing their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. We offer an extensive extra-curricular programme including choirs, orchestra, Samba Drumming and Irish music whilst providing opportunities to display their gifts and talents in our annual Christmas Carol Service and Summer Concert.
The National Curriculum for music aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Perform, listen to, review and evaluate music.
- Be taught to sing, create and compose music.
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated.
At Sacred Heart we aim to ensure all pupils:
- Gain a firm understanding of what music is through listening, performing, composing and evaluating across a wide variety of historical periods, styles, cultures and musical genres.
- Develop a curiosity for music and understand the importance of all types of music.
- Appreciate the value of music in the wider community and are able to use their musical skills, talents, understanding and experiences to involve themselves in the subject.